Monday, March 1, 2010

Introducing The Psychological Blog


Welcome to The Psychological Blog. In this introductory post, I explain what this blog is about, who I am, and the rules for posting comments.

What This Blog Is About

In this blog, I will address a wide range of topics about psychology. By “psychology,” I mean several things:

  • the subject matter itself (for example, the function of dreaming; things that therapists should watch out for; topics about which I wish people would do research);

  • the discipline of psychology (for example, things that psychologists should do to promote the field);

  • organized psychology (for example, items having to do with the American Psychological Association [APA], the Association for Psychological Science [APS], the Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers [APPIC], and so forth).
It will be a grab-bag, with items of interest to undergraduate and graduate students, clinicians, scientists, and those involved in the governance of professional associations. I anticipate posting about once or twice a week. I encourage you to become an official “Follower” of this site.

Who I Am

I am Mark E. Koltko-Rivera, Ph.D. As an undergraduate, I majored in psychology at Haverford College, graduating in 1981. My masters degree in counseling was obtained at the Lincoln Center campus, Graduate School of Education, at Fordham University, where I graduated in 1984. My doctoral degree was obtained in 2000 from the counseling psychology doctoral program at the Department of Applied Psychology in the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development, at New York University (an APA-accredited program). My predoctoral internship was completed at the Psychology Unit of the Sunset Terrace Mental Health Center of Lutheran Medical Center.

I am a Fellow of the American Psychological Association. Two award-winning articles of mine include “The Psychology of Worldviews” and an article about Abraham Maslow and self-transcendence.

Rules for Posting Comments

In the Comments to any post, anyone is welcome to disagree vigorously with me. However, profanity is not welcome, and personal attacks—particularly on others who have posted comments—will not be tolerated. I hope that the Comments will be a place for civil and fruitful point-counterpoint discussion.



Copyright 2010 Mark E. Koltko-Rivera. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting has now been opened up to anyone; for this to be continued, everyone must be civil and courteous.